About the Museum
Candido Portinari’s former house, in Brodowski, the Casa de Portinari Museum, institution from the Secretariat of Culture from the State of São Paulo, represents the strong connection between the artist and his birthplace, origins and family ties. This is the spot where he conducted his experiments on mural paintings and went deep inside the technique over the years.
Due to the many works in mural painting on the house walls and a chapel in the house garden, the preservation of the complex became essential. The first step began on December 9, 1968, when the house was put under government trust by Iphan (National Historical and Artistic Asset Institute). The following year, the property was expropriated and acquired by the Government of the State of São Paulo and, on January 22 1970, it was put under government trust by Condephaat (Council for the Defense of Historical, Archeological, Artistic and Tourism Assets of the State of São Paulo). With the efforts of the artist’s family, the city and the state, the museum was installed and inaugurated on March 14 1970. The complex is composed of a main house and annexes built successively. The typical simplicity of the countryside is the museum’s most striking characteristic.
Mission, Vision and Values
» Mission – Preserve and divulge the house where Candido Portinari lived and the legacy contained in it, transforming it into the reference of the painter’s life and work and a center to stimulate artistic expression and fruition.
» Vision – Be the reference and divulgement center of Candido Portinari’s life and work and stimulate visual arts.
» Values – Service quality; committed and achieved work teams; responsibility to the preservation and conservation of the Assets; commitment to sustainability; ethics; social commitments; educational commitments.
For the Preservation of the Assets and Memory:
- Within the premise of its social function, become one of the main reference centers on Portinari;
- Preserve, research and divulge Candido Portinari’s life and work;
- Emphasize and value the private side of Portinari’s life and work;
- Disseminate the matters related to the artist and his time;
- Make the public aware of the importance of preserving the assets presented by Casa de Portinari Museum;
- Divulge the results of research and preservation actions and the registration of asset references on Candido Portinari’s life and work;
- Develop programs and actions in a network and system with other museum entities in the State of São Paulo, Brazil and abroad;
- Execute programs and actions with other institutions that work within the same theme line as the museum;
For the Provision of Services and Public Relations:
- Promote the improvement and adaptation of its museum services;
- Broaden the existing dialogue with the local community;
- Research, articulate and divulge visual arts references;
- Enable the public, as an information and communication center, to enjoy the museum, exposing them to new concepts on cultural policy, citizenship, memory and identity matters, among others;
- Promote educational programs that see an effective dialogue and approximation with the new public; implement policies that stimulate and promote artistic production and aesthetic fruition, discovering talents and developing callings;
- Perform the communication of the asset references on the life and work of Candido Portinari by means of exhibits at its headquarters and traveling exhibits in different spaces;
- Perform multiple educational actions directed to several public segments such as schools, housewives, tourists and families, etc., allying asset, biographical and artistic content;
- Implement programs directed to the development of the municipality in partnerships with municipal institution such as schools, nursery schools and hospitals, as well as non-governmental associations and organizations;
- Include the city of Brodowski in national and international tourism routes by means of its exhibits and an attractive educational and cultural program.